Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Radio Ga-ga

"Are you OK to do the piece right now?" said Robbie from Radio Orkney.

"Err. . . I suppose I am," said a suddenly uncertain small-time pig farmer.

And so it was shown to the wider public in Orkney just why I spent the best part of 30 years working for newspapers.

I was on the air to plug the new community heritage project Westray's Living Heritage of which I am - apparently - project manager. In other words, I gather in photographs and video of current events in the island and upload them to the website. It keeps me out of mischief and the few bob it earns me means the pigs don't go hungry.

The plan had been to twist the Heritage Trust's chairman to go on the radio, but with one thing or another, time was running out and Robbie from the BBC gave me a call on Thursday afternoon.

It was - to put it mildly - bloody horrible. My stomach started to churn, I tried desperately not to mumble, I punctuated every fourth word with "um", my head filled with cotton wool about halfway through. It was poor stuff and the only saving grace was that it wasn't live.

That gave the team in Kirkwall the chance to knock the interview into shape and by the time it went on air (right at the end of the morning bulletin), "ums" had been kept to a minimum and I sounded like I had some vague idea what I was talking about. It's not something I'm in a hurry to repeat though.

And now back to the Radio Scotland studio in Glasgow for the phone-in - Alec Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon, is something fishy going on with the SNP?

1 comment:

Richard said...

I had a brief flurry of radio interviews about 6 years ago, strangely enough it didn't bother me too much. The first was a bit iffy but by the third I was accomplished. You're just talking to the presenter, just like the hospital radio I used to do over ***cough*** 30 years ago, when I was probably talking to even fewer people.