Tuesday, 7 December 2010

There's no place like home

The snow was belting in at a 45-degree angle, but nothing puts Alfie off his breakfast, so I duly obliged with a mixture of pig feed, barley, potatoes and turnips, adding an extra scoop to help keep him warm.

I've never seen snow stick on a pig before.

The Kims (the older Kim still hasn't gone for sausage and I'm kind of hoping nobody notices) harumphed and grumpfed at me and ploughed their way through the rapidly deepening snow to get their share.

Those three are the only pigs in the herd still outside and as long as their huts remain dry and warm that's where they'll stay.

I've been away in England for a while and, after disrupted flights and long hours spent in airports, it was great to be home, whatever the weather.

The weather perked up by lunchtime, allowing a short walk. . .

. . . to the Skelwick shop. . .


for cat food, pop and a natter with Wilma and Norman. Like I said, it's good to be home.

6 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The pigs are out in the snow stark naked! Are you? I have some old coats that could easily be altered for pigs to wear. They could also do with some socks and little trotter-sized wellington boots. Pig balaclavas would also not come amiss.

Frith said...

Malcolm, when I was in the Orkneys I was struck by how much the locals loved it there. I figured nobody would stay if the weather bothered them - it self-selects for people who are passionate about the place. I get this same feeling reading your posts - that you have found your earth, your place. I loved the photos, how the world covered in white encourages us to see the peace and beauty in dried grass, fences, tire ruts in the snow.

Macy said...

Presumably The Lerwick Shop is still fully stocked? I'd imagine it'd take more than a wee bit of snow before Lerwick starts panic buying...

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Pigs are tough. They can handle to cold if the get adequate feed and dry shelter.

I wonder if the weather got much worse since this posting.

Arabella said...

Popped by with Christmas greetings to all, including those with curly tails.

Z said...

Been a while, Malc. Still snowed in?