Monday, 27 September 2010

Not just a pig farmer


I looked at them huddled by the fence in the top field. They stared back with a "you haven't the first idea what to do" look.

Which just goes to show how right sheep can be.

Last spring I foolishly mentioned to our neighbour Marcus that I thought it was about time we had a few sheep, partly for ground maintenance and also for the freezer. Fine, the best thing was to wait for autumn and pick up some of the smaller lambs not going to market.

So he turned up the other day with three fairly small (but not that small) sheep in his trailer. I climbed in and hauled them out one-by-one and. . . well, that's about it so far.

They're quite settled in the top field, spending most of their time by the fence near Alfie the boar, but I can't help feeling there's something I should be doing.

Pigs need attention, shelter, feeding and watering. Sheep need. . . well, not much it seems, so long as there's grass. Not that there's much chance of me doing anything with them. They haven't let me within ten metres of them yet.

7 comments:

Dave said...

I believe you need to drive them through gates, by whistling to your dog.

smart said...

Do they have names yet?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"Not that there's much chance of me doing anything with them."
What do you think wellingtons were invented for?

Richard said...

You can judge whether you've made the right decision next spring when you're elbow deep in one in a howling force 8 and horizontal snow

elizabethm said...

Richard seems to have said it all. My sheepkeeping neighbour claims that the ambition of all sheep is to die and that they devote themselves to finding ingenious ways to do it.

Frith said...

This is so funny, and you're so brave, to take on the care and maintenance of yet another variety of life form. Time to buy a loom? Or are they only for mutton?

The Birdwatcher said...

You need a sheep dog. And its master. We don't need much, just somewhere to sleep and a lot of beer. (For the dog of course)