Friday, 6 August 2010

About a boar



The lad emerged from the trailer, snuffled around the paddock and went over to the fence to introduce himself to the four remaining porkers - all clearly very interested in the newcomer.

Our new boar arrived home this week and has already charmed us all. After much debate over his name - during which time the female members of the family firmly overruled any attempt by the pig farmer to call him Brian O'Driscoll, Derek Dougan, Robert Plant or Che Guevara - he's ended up as Alfie.

He's just over three months old, so won't be ready to 'work' for while yet, but he's a smasher and I'm chuffed to bits with him. I just hope he's as fertile as he's good-looking. ("Good-looking" as far as pigs go, that is).

7 comments:

moreidlethoughts said...

I just hope Alfie knows what it's all about!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

How old will he have to be before he begins "work"? I was sixteen myself. Does he have to court then marry each sow in turn? What if Alfie's gay? I mean - some pigs are just born gay aren't they?

Dave said...

Very handsome.

Arabella said...

"I just hope he's as fertile as he's good-looking." -
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.

Rog said...

I haven't heard it called "work" since my extensive Gigolo activities in my twenties.

Richard said...

I mis-read that, Rog, "In MY twenties."

The Birdwatcher said...

If its work then I am long term unemployed :)