Friday, 12 March 2010

Charmed, I'm sure

Mrs Pig Farmer fixed me with a "what-the-bloody-hell's-he-on-about-now?" expression and said: "Come again?"

"Nobody says 'how do you do?' any more."

"You mean 'howdyado'?"

"No, the full 'how do you do?', preferably in the manner of a late 1940s British matinee, while raising a hat."

"You've got a hat."

"I don't think a grubby woollen hat counts. I was thinking more along the lines of a trilby. . . a tweedy one. . . who was it who wore one?. . . Harry Worth! I just think the world would be a better place if everyone said 'how do you do?' once in a while."

"Are you all right?"

"You mean, how am I doing?"

"Bugger off."

Radio 7 are rerunning an old Harry Worth series - sadly it hasn't aged well.

11 comments:

fiwa said...

Pleased to meet you!

Dave said...

If only there was a shop window on your island, I'd come and move my arm and leg in it for you.

I don't suppose that works well on the radio.

I, Like The View said...

come again?

KAZ said...

Such a shame - he was so nice and subtle.
It's the likes of Benny Hill that survive.

Arabella said...

Howdy.

elizabethm said...

I am with you. How do you do?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The conversation with Miss Piggy could be turned into a scene from an existentialist play by Samuel Becket...
On the same lines, I hate the fancy new rhetorical expression - "How cool is that?" or "How clever is that?"/ "How brave is that?" etc.. I always want to say - and sometimes do - "Well it's as cool as an ice lolly" or "It's as clever as a broken Rubik's cube" or "It's about as brave as Little Miss Muffet sitting on her tuffet!"...Honestly, Victor Meldrew has got nothing on me!

Sian said...

You'd have liked my dad - to the day he died (mid 1990s) he would never leave the house without wearing a proper hat (trilby of course) so that he could raise it and say "How do you do" or "Good morning". He did once threaten to do a "Harry Worth" outside "Hepworths" once (remember them?) but we dragged him away before he could!

Richard said...

Unfortunately a Harry Worth gag was probably dated by the time he wrote it down. My Dad used to do Harrys in windows whenever it was possible. He also can't resist "baa-ing" at sheep - annoying when the farmer next door often has a field full - and adding sound effects to stories, especially if it involves a plane noise. In all other respects he's quite normal. The sad thing is, bar the sound effects, which can be really embarrassing, I do the other stuff, too. Neither of us wears a hat.

zIggI said...

how do you do what?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.