Sunday, 22 November 2009

The pig "farmer's" cock


Our senior sow Kim is back up to fighting weight and ready for a transfer outdoors - and I'm guessing she'll be glad to get away from the cockerel chorus that has played havoc with her plans for a nice snooze in the morning.

The pigshed is currently overrun with young chickens and Adam the cockerel has some serious competition. It's like backstage at the X-Factor in there.

Adam, the father of the clan, remains king of the crow, but he has serious competition from his chief rival - a hefty, grey and black fella born early this year. Jarvis is as enthusiastic a waker-up of the neighbourhood as his dad and is proving to be something of a ladies' man too.

Those two are regularly joined by Glenn (late 70s Third Division football reference) and the other younger cockerels for something as close to a male voice choir as we get in Westray.

The plan had been to put Jarvis in the freezer, but these things never seem to work out here and he's somehow been given a reprieve. He can't stay on the "farm" as he's related to almost all the other birds and is already showing far too much interest in his mother, aunts and sisters (is that banjos I can hear?).

So he's off to disturb the sleep of our neighbours up the road, while the younger birds will all go to the freezer. There are only so many reprieves you can hand out.

Which leaves us with Adam, our dandy highwayman. He has to go too as he is both father and grandfather to several of the young hens and we can't let the in-breeding go any further. There's no way in hell that Mrs Pig "Farmer" will let me wring his neck so we need a home for him.

If any of the eight regular readers of The Edge of Nowhere can give a very decorative cock a little corner for a not-so quiet retirement, let me know.

8 comments:

I, Like The View said...

now I'm humming "stand and deliver"

(-:

Dave said...

I have toyed with having chickens, but have decided it's not practical. Sorry.

Sian said...

Oh b*gger. I've just got a new cockeral otherwise I could have given him a home. Sigh.

elizabethm said...

Sadly not only are we miles away across the sea but we have two cockerels already. Love the look of those two though and would be tempted if I got within range.

Anonymous said...

Fancy a swap, we're in the same predicament down at Cotterochan.

Steven

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Most men are happy with just one cock but you appear to have several - all with rather odd names. I call my own cock Nelson in memory of a trip I once made to Trafalagar Square. Also he has only got one eye.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

By the way, Trafalagar Square is quite close to Trafalgar Square.

Richard said...

I overlook some allotments, two of which have been turned into chicken runs. They are noisy enough without a cockerel so I don't think I'll be offering, sorry.