Friday, 9 January 2009

A pig "farmer" with two cocks

Listening to: Meet The Eels (Eels)
Weather: bright and sunny, big wind forecast tomorrow

Funny how the mind plays tricks on you. I could've sworn I posted during the summer about the three little chicks that hatched in the hen house. Can't find a single mention. I took pictures and everything - can't find them either.

Anyway. . . it happened because we have two lovely young hens (Bob and Leroy - don't ask) who have just started laying small, but perfectly formed eggs.

We also had Marshall - a boy. Now, as you've probably gathered, being a bloke on the farmyard isn't a good thing to be unless you're the "farmer".

It was fine as long as he was a young lad, but in the last three or four weeks he's grown into a hefty cockerel, showing all together too much interest in the ladies - many of which are related to him, one's his mum. His dad, Adam, is laid-back as cockerels go and quietly decamped (along with a couple of the hens) to the pigshed.

And there was the noise. Adam has started at about 3am with the full "cock-a-doodle-doo", Marshall doing his best to compete with a "cock-a-doo" (kids eh? can't do anything right). Right number of syllables or not, it wasn't helping sleep patterns on the croft.

It seemed a shame to wring the neck of quite a good-looking bird and it was a relief when Sal's colleague Toni said she'd have him.

Snag is, Toni lives over on Orkney Mainland and the pig "farmer" is a big scaredy cat when it comes to anything with feathers (duvets and boas excepted).

"Amy, could you give me a hand with something," the pig "farmer" asked his stepdaughter a couple of hours before the ferry was due to leave.

We went around to the hen house (an old garden shed), Amy looked inside and I gave her a smart shove and slammed the door behind her. After several minutes of squawking and flying feathers, Amy emerged with a decidedly non-plussed cockerel under her arm and we managed to get him into an old cat box.

Soon, the pig "farmer" was marching purposefully onto the ferry with a boxful of clucking cockerel under his arm.

Marshall was safely delivered and hit the ground running - literally. I'm told he has seen off the bantam cockerel and is now in the process of running after the hens at his new home, only they're not keen at all so there's some sort of Benny Hill chase going on.


Adam (that's him above) is still in the pigshed, but I'm hoping he won't feel the need to compete so will leave the crowing to a civilised hour.

I'm not holding my breath.

13 comments:

Gin said...

I remember your post about the chicks and found it ...it's here...

http://the-edge-of-nowhere.blogspot.com/2008/07/good-times-bad-times.html

Glad you found a home for your extra boy. He'll have to be accepted but that will happen with time. Your Roo is very handsome!!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

What you appear to be admitting is that you are a pimp! Was this an updated version of The Marshall Plan?

I, Like The View said...

lovely looking bird. . .

I watched that Hugh F-W chap the other night, and thought about one of your older posts - his beetroot didn't look half as good as yours!

you must be so chuffed with your progress Malc

(-:

ps if I send you a big jiffy bag and some stamps, could you post me some shells and stuff from one of your beach walks? (your description of Sal's collection made me go ga-ga - I miss beaches!)

Mr Murph said...

I'm hoping to find another Richard for my blogroll so I can use the title "Dog with 2 Dicks".

Did you notice my Pig encounter up North last week?

Daphne said...

I've always wanted to keep hens - the people who owned this house before we did kept hens. It's 50 years since my family moved in. Perhaps it's time I did.

smart said...

Hi Malcolm
Reading this reminded me of the Jake Thackery song Bantam Cock. See Jasper Carrot doing it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprQ295dxVw

KAZ said...

Can't you give cocks the snip (or equivalent) to subdue their laddish behaviour?

susi said...

Hello again after a while.

Just a note to thank you for the comment you left on my blog and to let you know that I am still enjoying reading yours.

Writing the blog was fun most of the time but I didn't want to become someone who started to leave weeks between entries.

Many thanks for reading my ramblings and I will keep in touch through these comments pages

Dave said...

Kaz: but what would be the point of a cock with no cock? We're talking about a big tough farmer here, not someone keeping chickens for ornamentation.

Caitlin said...

So I thought 'that nice Malc left a comment on my blog, I'll pop over and see his...' I cannot believe I missed this blog...two of my favourite topics in the whole world - pigs (or any farm animal really) and the Orkneys!!!

Not to mention all the familiar 'faces' over here.

And, no, I'm not joking or being sarcastic. I really do have a secret desire for the crofting life (it's genetic I think).

elizabethm said...

WE have two cocks too and they indulge in a bit of competitive crowing every now and then. Fortunately they dont tend to start early so they are both surviving so far.

Malc said...

Gin

Ah! I knew it would turn up. I'm terrible when it comes to looking for and finding stuff - it's a bloke thing. Although it's not helped by the fact that Mrs Pig "Farmer" is always hiding things.

Yorkshire

Err. . . kind of, I suppose. I haven't really got the suits for it though.

ILTV

Thanks. Compliments always gratefully received.
And yes, send us a bag and I'll fill it up for you.

Murph

Ta-da! Yes, I saw the pig incident - bit slow to catch up with everyone else's blogs, been busy.

Daphne

Definitely a good idea, especially if you don't mind handling them. The tamer they are the better. Ours, of course, are semi-wild.

Smart

Cheers Grandpa!

Kaz

I suppose you could, but then you'd take away the only reason for keeping a cockerel - decoration excepted of course.

Susi

Glad you're still with us in one respect.

Dave

"Big tough farmer". . . blimey! At 6ft and 15 stone I'll own up to one out of three.

Caitlin

I can't believe you missed it either. Now hurry up, you've a lot of catching up to do.

Elizabeth

Lucky you. Sadly, attempts to get Adam out of the pigshed have so far failed and he was crowing at 5am today.

mig said...

The lovely noises of the countryside - glad you have a good leader for the dawn chorus up there.