Sunday, 18 January 2009

It was four o'clock in the pigshed. . .

Listening to: this old chestnut

It's just gone four in the morning and the gale-force south-easterly has been assaulting the house for a couple of hours, looking for weak points.

The rattling of the barn door woke the pig "farmer" around half-two and he lay there for an hour as the wind whistled across the roofs and around the walls, his imagination growing more lurid by the minute.

Having convinced himself that the bonnet on Lennox the Land Rover was about to be ripped off (it's been wonky ever since the 'incident' with the concrete post), he slipped quietly out of bed, trying not to wake Mrs Pig "Farmer", softly exited the caravan and made his way into the house (house and barn are attached).

In the kitchen, the dogs gave him a kind of 'what time do you call this?' look as he put the kettle on, threw a few bits of wood onto the still-smouldering fire to get it going again, dressed, grabbed torch and went outside.

Lennox's bonnet was in place, the hen house (an old garden shed) intact, pigs asleep, all roofs where they should be - everything was tickety-boo.

So now I'm filling the time before daylight, eating toast, drinking tea, being given dirty looks by the dogs.

I don't think I'll ever get used to these winter gales.

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

Glad you survived the storm. Here in Wiltshire the expected gale force winds did not materialise and nor did the rain. All is quiet outside and at 9am the temperature is plummeting as the have clear blue skies.

Sian said...

I can empathise - though I wouldn't go outdoors to do anything about it, just lie in bed imaging the sky falling in!! Didn't seem so windy here on Graemsay, but then I was expecting the screaming banshee of 100mph wind so in the end it just felt like "a bit o' a breeze"! Glad you survived OK!

I, Like The View said...

regarding your tune - men don't dress like that anymore, do they!

would have gotten back to sleep if you'd have made a hot milk and added whisky to it?!

very glad everything was still intact - including your sanity and sense of humour - and hope you catch up on your sleep at some stage

(-:

fiwa said...

How do you not lose power with all that going on? That is the thing I worry about every year when we start getting high winds. Well, a tree blowing over and landing on the roof too - but mostly loosing power.

Stay warm!
fiwa

Gin said...

I would do the same thing. I can't sleep when the wind is blowing hard here...too worried about losing our power. We've had a lot of that winter wind on our side of the world lately too...and frigid temps to boot!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Malc,
Have your ever read "Storm on the Island" by Seamus Heaney? I think this poem would mean a lot to you just now so hunt it down... "It is a huge O that we fear.."
YP

Richard said...

We've just endured a violent hailstorm here in South Cheshire's premier resort location.

Richard said...

I,LTV. Yes. Men of a certain age who should know better but won't be told. Ahem.

I, Like The View said...

how old does a man have to be, to be of a certain age then, Richard

I, Like The View said...

(-;

Richard said...

Err...This old.

I, Like The View said...

erm, I'm still in the dark. . .

but then I am slightly dim

Brad said...

I love those times alone early in the morning with no one else up.

Sian said...

Thanks "Yorkshire Pud" for the reference to Seamus Heaney's poem. I'd not come across it before so had to hunt it down. Oh that is just so right for a Winter Orkney gale. Thanks!

The Birdwatcher said...

There must be something wrong with me becasue I love to lie in bed an listen to the wind stomping about outside plucking at the windows and crashing over the dustbins.