Friday, 31 October 2008

Catching up is hard to do

Listening to: Rock'n'roll (Led Zeppelin)

The wind got worse. . . and was accompanied by an electric storm which knocked out most phones and all broadband connections in Westray and most of the other islands in Orkney.

Ferries were cancelled and, by the middle of Saturday, the winds had reached hurricane force (that's over 70mph apparently) and it was a battle to stay upright outside.

The pigs, wisely, hunkered down and emerged only for food, delivered at an angle of 45 degrees by a windswept pig "farmer".

The weather eased through the week and, pig arc apart, there was little damage, although the phone wasn't fixed until yesterday and the broadband wasn't back with us until a very polite lady at BT told me to switch it off and switch it back on again this morning.

As we struggle back to normality, my stepdaughter Amy has arrived with horses Jessica and Dotty. Having got used to Teddy and Merlin, it was a real shock to see proper sized horses. At 16 hands-plus, they're a bit scary. However, they do look lovely. . .


. . . don't they?

Dotty (the brown one) is from Crossmaglen in the former bandit country of County Armagh, while Jessica is Hung-g-garian. . .



There's a nasty rumour going round that the pig "farmer" is going to learn to ride.

6 comments:

I, like the view said...

I can imagine you, in full cowboy gear. . . altho I can't for the life of me remember the name of those leather half trouser things that cowboys wear over their jeans

(better than leder-hosen anyday tho, in my book)(not that I can imagine you in leder-hosen)(but it's an interesting thought!)

I, like the view said...

huh? I could have sworn that there was a different image at the top a minute ago. . .

Malc said...

Chaps.

And I don't have the legs for lederhosen.

As for the pic, I was having a rummage through the picture file.

andrea said...

They are lovely and look very fetching in their pyjamas.

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

What you need to do is train the horse to carry you home from the pub! :)

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Defintely, learn to ride. Then you will feel like the Laird of the Manor.