Sunday, 14 September 2008

Fence

Listening to: What Is And What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)
It's gone: all grey and murky

I'm in the bottom field and Marcus is showing me exactly where I've gone wrong preparing to put up a fence. The middle strainer is a bit out of line, giving the fence ever such a hint of a kink. And as for the gatepost. . .

That apart, it's a terrific way to spend the afternoon (as long as you watch your fingers). It's sunny and breezy - Westray at its very best - and Marcus takes great delight confusing me with snatches of Orkney dialect.

In an attempt to seem all enthusiastic and to try to head off another embarrassing moment when asked to hand over a flange gusseter or somesuch, I ask the name of the excellent gizmo Marcus has, a chain with two grips and a handle which he is using to tighten the fence.

"Ah yes, those would be fence tighteners."

"Oh."

15 comments:

Ginni Dee said...

Putting up fence is such hard work. To tighten fence we used to just put a screwdriver in between the two strands on the barbed wire and twist it around and around until the wire was tight!

Lindsay said...

If you look over to my place I have left you an award (bit girlie, I know) - but I really do love your blog!!

Murph said...

Manding fences in the bottom field?

You've turned into the Fast Show, Malc!

Malc said...

Ginni

I trust you used thick gloves. Marcus just picks the stuff up in his bare hands and gives it a pull.

Lindsay

You're right - that's very girlie! But thank you anyway. All praise is gratefully received.

Murph

Does my bum look big in this?

treespotter said...

that is sooo weird. i was just playing the same zeppelin song!!

hi there :)

ziggi said...

fencing eh? We're not good at that chez nous.

KAZ said...

Amazing tools - and I bet he didn't buy them from the B&Q in Westray

snailbeachshepherdess said...

nothing like fencing for a bit of job satisfaction.

FirstNations said...

its the complicated terminology thats always kept me from erecting more fencing.

fiwa said...

Do not speak to me of fences, mine is only standing because the neighbor behind us was kind enough to tie it up to his.

Look at how blue the water is in your header picture. Is the water really cold, or does it ever get warm enough to swim in?

mig bardsley said...

I suppose you wouldn't be planning to pass through Berkshire with a fence tightener or two?
We have this escaping dog....

The water looks wonderful and I love those slabs!

Arabella said...

The Zep will do that to the weather.

Dave said...

I used to be quite good at fencing, in my younger days. I mainly used a foil.

elizabethm said...

Now fencing is a job which sorts the men from the boys. Our fences were fixed by a bloke of our about 22 who was as wide as tall and all muscle. something like you I imagine after all this pig farming.

lettuce said...

fence tighteners.

who knew there were such items in the world?