Saturday, 6 September 2008

Car, egg, face

Listening to: The Ghost That Carried Us Away (Seabear)
Weather: sunny, if a little breezy
Surf: barely a ripple

The little £400 Ford Fiesta we bought as an island runabout had developed a knocking sound that got worse the faster it was forced to go.

"Bugger, it's the driveshaft," thought the sort-of pig farmer - a man whose knowledge of motor mechanics is right up there with Orville the Duck.

We ran the rattling, hammering little thing up to the island's mechanic - a top bloke who knows his stuff and is pretty cheap. My hopes were not high.

The next day my phone rang.

"Is that Malcolm?"

"Yep. What's the verdict? Tell me the worst."

"A couple of wheel nuts were loose."

"Ah."

Memo to self: to avoid extreme embarrassment, check all the obvious stuff first.

5 comments:

Ginni Dee said...

That's good! I know it's embarrassing, but at least he didn't say "...that will be £401..." That's what would have happened to me!

P.S. I've been meaning to tell you that I love that photo of your pup on the title bar! He's a cutie and looks like he's extremely happy.

mig bardsley said...

It's an unusual fault though? I find that in the absence of the scary machine they use to tighten a wheel nut you need something along the lines of a spider unscrewy thing, a bit of lead piping and at least two heavy people to jump up and down on the end of the resulting edifice.
But perhaps they still do wheel nuts by hand on Westray?

Brad said...

Don't feel bad. I'm the guy that takes the car into the shop, hands over the keys and clear states: "It's broke"

Yes, they get me every time.

Richard said...

I'm no mechanic but I know a few tricks having been embarrassed enough before too many times. Recently I cam across a bloke and his family were stuck in the local garden centre car park. He couldn't start his "new" second hand bright yellow Impreza with big exhaust pipe and fancy spoilers. I told him I'd bring my old Rover up to give him a jump but then I had an idea. "Lift the lid" He popped the bonnet up and I banged the live terminal on his battery. "Now try it" I told him.

I had a whole pocketful of smug points.

The Birdwatcher said...

Mrs BW phoned me up in a panic a couple of years ago telling me that the car made horrible knocking sound everytime she set off in it, she was convinced it was the engine. It was in fact the aerial knocking against the roof rack bars. Women!