Monday, 12 May 2008

The rolling maul

Listening to: Rockaway Beach (Ramones)

A quick update from the pigshed. Everyone is fine (fingers crossed). Even the little one we had to work quite hard to 'get going' on Saturday night is standing his corner.

Kim's eight piglets are growing quickly, having got about half as big again as they were when they were born on Wednesday. They are exploring the pen, taking milk in an orderly fashion and sleeping peacefully under the heat lamp. If they were human, their parents would vote Lib-Dem.

Molly's dozen next door are really lowering the tone of the neighbourhood. There's a hell of a lot of squeaking, squealing, scuffling and biting when it comes to feed time and, when Moll gets up to eat or drink, they gather under their heat lamp - not to cuddle up and sleep, but to form the rolling maul perfected by the 2003 England rugby team.



Molly has been good as gold so far, but I hope her rowdy and demanding offspring don't wear her out. Just watching them leaves me exhausted.

11 comments:

Ginni Dee said...

Wow they are growing fast! Molly's rowdy crew are just adorable, as is to be expected of any black and white baby critter! Can you tell them all apart yet?

Amazing! Do they eat feed yet? I would imagine they do and I'll bet your feed bill is about to skyrocket! Will you keep many, or will you sell them once they're fattened up and older?

nikkipolani said...

So good to read about their progress, Malc. It'll be interesting to see how these two litters grow up.

ziggi said...

!
Your blog is singing!

Clever!

mig bardsley said...

Wonderful piglets. And obviously they'll be a fit bunch if they keep up that mauling. I mean rolling.

Dave said...

What have you been up to since I called in? I don't remember this lot.

I'm home now, and obviously have to catch up.)

snailbeachshepherdess said...

lovely.....

What ARE you planning to do with them all?

I, still, ♥ the views said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

that's too cute!


(we have five one-week-old black and white kittens in the cupboard under the kitchen sink, but they won't taste any good in sausages so I'll get rid of them soon)

The Birdwatcher said...

That rolling maul looks alot more organised that ours.

ISLTV - Actually kittens do make great sausages - its all in the seasoning.

I, still, ♥ the views said...

is that like squirrels? tell me quick, before I get the mother done. . .

;-)

thanks birdie

I, still, ♥ the views said...

(and think of the gloves I could make with the skins. . .)

Hannah Velten said...

A belated congrats. for producing (sorry, rearing) these little beauties - I could watch them all day...you can't set up a camera, could you?!