Monday, 31 December 2007

Hog-manay

Listening to: Radio 4 comedy podcasts
Reading: Sharpe's Fury (is it just me or does Bernard Cornwell need to tone down the titles a bit? I look forward to Sharpe's Irritation, Sharpe's Discomfort, Sharpe Gets Caught Up In Red Tape)

It's our first Hogmanay north of the border and we're off out to the nearby hotel in a while. Mrs TPF is preparing a cocktail of smelly stuff for the bath, I'm putting my feet up for a bit as I'm dressed and ready. . .



There's going to be music and dancing and I will try not to overdo the malts at the end of the night. I'll also be trying to avoid any further unnecessary research into the relationship between kilts and underpants. This picture (from the US, I believe) tells you all you want to know and probably much more. . .



Actually, I don't know what to expect really. Regular readers will know that the locals are a bit ambivalent about their Scottishness (except when Scotland are playing England at anything, funnily enough), so I imagine the evening could end up like this. . .



I've just been trundling around, googling Hogmanay and suchlike, and was delighted to find that the Germans call New Year Silvester!



Thufferin' Thukatash! Happy New Year, everyone.

10 comments:

The Birdwatcher said...

Happy New Year to you, Mrs TPF and all the livestock. The BW's

fiwa said...

My eyes! They're burning! ;)

Can't wait to hear what Hogmanay entails. Remember to bend at the knees if you're wearing a kilt!

Happy New Year!
fiwa

Daphne said...

Happy New Year - I hope by now you're out there enjoying the party.

Jay said...

Happy New Year!

Actually, I think you have 7 minutes until the new year as I post this. Or maybe 67 minutes. Hell I don't know. Time zone math always annoys me.

Anyway, Happy New Year!

Ginni Dee said...

Yeah, leave it to us Americans to ruin the secret of the kilts!

Hope you have a wonderful Hogmanay celebration!

Happy New Year to you and your family, and all of your furbabies!

Cheers,
Ginni

Dave said...

Happy New Year.

mig bardsley said...

Happy New Year. I hope you had a good party.

Malc said...

BW

And the same to your tribe.

Fiwa

Actually, it's way too breezy here for kilts.

Daffers

I was, we did.

Jay

Hello there! It was 67, so you were right second time.

Ginni

Don't worry, it wasn't the Americans, it was Joan Sims in Carry On Up The Khyber.

Dave

Likewise.

Mig

Thanks, and we certainly did.

lettuce said...

Sharpe's Discomfiture?

Malc said...

Sharpe's Headache?

Sharpe's Tummy Bug?

Sharpe's Man-flu?

Are you reading this Bernard?