Tuesday, 20 November 2007

Apples

Listening to: Crying Shame (Jack Johnson)
Reading: Scottish Farmer small ads (Marcus says I need a tractor and who am I to argue?)
The house smells of: coffee and fresh bread (no, I'm not selling)
Going: out tonight

This may be just me, but do you remember Sunday dinner/lunch when you were a child? Remember how, when you were very young, you ate all the stuff you really liked first before getting onto the cabbage, cauliflower and suchlike.

Then, when you were a little older and smarter, you realised the pleasure could be prolonged if you kicked off in broccoli country, moved up carrot avenue before getting to meat and spud heaven. I still do it to a tiny degree, making sure the last mouthful is meat, roast potato or (if applicable) Yorkshire.

I'm not sure if it applies to pigs, but I've just spent a happy 20 minutes watching Eric and a much-improved Ernie plough their way through their tea. For a change, I added to their pan of potatoes a scoop of barley, a scoop of pig 'pencils' and a couple of apples that had been hanging around the fruit bowl for a couple of weeks (I don't know why I bought them, I only like cox or russets, these tasted like cotton wool).

Eric and Ernie took little notice of the extra effort I had gone to on their behalf and got stuck in at once. However, I noticed they snuffled up the pencils first, then the potatoes before moving on to the barley. The apples were left on one side, perhaps they are still pushing them around now. Next time maybe they'll eat them first.

On reflection, it wasn't that sensitive to give apples to pigs.

Next week: Malc feeds cranberries to turkeys.

5 comments:

I, like the view said...

I used to slice of the crispy bit from the roast potatoes and save that for last, since it was my favourite. . .

it was the same with those custard slices with icing on top (used to eat the custard, then the slice, saving the icing for last). . .

and with Mars Bars I used to save the toffee bit. . .

when I write used to I use a degree of "artistic" license of course; actually, I'm sure you don't really want to know my eating habits

;-@

(I love apple sauce with pork! but don't tell E&E)

ziggi said...

I used to leave to orangey bit in jaffa cakes till last . . .


still do actually
:)


I think you're going to have trouble sending E&E to their maker - you're sounding very fond of them!

fiwa said...

Ok, I must ask. What are pegs pencils? I've never heard that term before and I'm not sure if it's a farm thing or a Brit thing?

Cranberries to turkeys, that cracked me up. :)

Malc said...

Morning all

ILTV

Save the toffee from the Mars Bar? That quite a feat considering it's so gooey. Of course, here in (sort of) Scotland you have to get through the batter first.

And don't worry, I won't tell the boys about the sauce.

Ziggi

Yep, I love the orangey bit too.

I'm still managing to keep the right side of the line with the pigs. It's hard to explain and I may well do a post on it if I can sort it out in my head.

Fiwa

Pencils are a rolled pig feed which are then shape of (very short) pencils. They come in different thicknesses depending on the age of the pig. It's probably a Brit farm thing.

Daphne said...

If you kept sheep I expect you'd be feeding them on mint.
Lovely to find your blog after an evening drive home through Leeds rush-hour traffic!