Saturday, 13 October 2007

Just this once (or twice)

This may come as a bit of a surprise to those who know me, but I'm dead excited about the rugby tonight.

Being English by birth and living on a small island off the north coast of Scotland (Orcadians seem ambivalent at best about their Scottishness), but Irish by blood and inclination, I've always been greener than a jolly giant when it comes to sporting events.

I'm still a bit upset about Ireland's pathetic showing at the World Cup and the lack of decent explanation/apology. The coach and squad seem to have been sucked into the idea that it's OK for the Irish to lose as long as we're good fun at a party.

I've always been a bit sniffy about "The Nigels", but found myself genuinely excited by their World Cup win in 2003 and was thrilled to bits when they beat the Aussies last week, a genuine rugby team using some old-fashioned, basic disciplines to overcome a bunch of showponies too weak to stand up in the scrum.

Soooo. . . . I'm off to the Cleaton House Hotel tonight where the game will be on in the bar, Mr D will be in the chair and landlord Tony (a former Fylde team-mate of Bill Beaumont's) will be dispensing the Dragonhead Stout. And, mostly for the sake of my English mates (Reg especially) I will be shouting myself hoarse for the men in white.

Just don't expect me to make a habit of it.

5 comments:

Reg Pither said...

Allez les Blancs!!!! Le sange est dans l'arbre!!! Mon Volkswagen c'est dans la salle du baine!! Ou est il qui gagnger le bloody guerre, anyway!! Hurrah!!

Malc said...

Couldn't have put it better myself, Reg. Cheers matey.

I, like the view said...

I think the English won. . . and that means that there is an even bigger match to win next week. . .

not that I really understand these thing, being a girl 'n' all

Malc said...

You don't fool me ILTV. I know you'll be glued to it next week. And don't you think there's a case for Stevens starting in place of Vickery? What's your view on the ball - is it really that difficult to kick?

I, like the view said...

they play with a ball? I wondered what that funny shaped thing was