Monday, 24 September 2007

The frozen south


You've got to admit it, the quality of BBC comedy is higher than ever these days.

Here on Orkney, we are all just drying our eyes and holding our aching sides after the reports on the "news" from our favourite London-based broadcasting corporation that "extreme" weather conditions had caused "devastation" and "severe" damage to "scores" of houses in the Midlands and south-east England.

Winds of up to 60mph had been recorded! That posh weather girl's umbrella blew inside out! Sophie Rayworth got wet on her way to work!

Ooooooooooooh! Declare a state of national emergency.

I think I'm right in saying that a score is 20, so 'scores' probably means about 80. I'd say you got off pretty lightly.

And, yes, 60mph is pretty breezy - but, hey, if you don't want wildly unpredictable weather, sell your car, grow your own veg, stop taking flights for your holidays and start getting on the government's case to do similar and to put pressure on other countries to stop polluting.

In the meantime, put on a hat and a coat and toughen up, you wimps!

PS The weather presenter on the North Scotland news on ITV is called Gail.

5 comments:

Arabella said...

I have been reading some of your posts from ealier in the month.
I am sorry to hear that Milly died. She sounded like such a dear, and much loved.
Hugs.

Malc said...

Thanks, that's very sweet of you.

The Birdwatcher said...

I am becoming more and more irritated about the number of severe weather warnings that the Met Office issue. It seems now that even a bit of drizzle has to have some sort of warning. We spent a fantastic holiday a couple of years ago in Clashnessie and the Highlight was a storm with winds in the region of 80 mph. Once it had died down we went to next village and had a coffee at a cafe. " That was some storm last night" I said to the owner. He looked into the distance for a minute or two. "Um, a bit blowy I suppose, last winter we had a storm that registered 130mph" So that put me in my place.

Enjoy the weather. BW

Malc said...

It's bloody lovely today. The strong north winds have died away and it's still sunny. Just slipping into my shorts now.

I, like the view said...

glad the sun is shining for you