Tuesday, 26 June 2007

Pork for January


Listening to: Atmosphere (Joy Division)
Watching: Bewilderness (Bill Bailey)
Waiting for: my numbers to come up

Now this is what I call progress. Today I signed us up for the first four members of what, in my head, will be the Stoneyhall herd of pigs.

A breeder of Saddlebacks was considerate enough to live only a quarter of a mile from the Orkney ferry near Thurso and a litter is due any time now.

That means they will be weaned mid-August and at our place on Westray around August 20. Yes, boys and girls, the chubby former regional newspaper sports hack is going to be a pig farmer.

Just how good a pig farmer remains to be seen. The first task, of course, is to get pigs, farm and "farmer" all in the same place at the same time - time to get packing.

It does, of course, bring into sharp focus the factthat I have no real idea what I am doing. Not sure what the pig-farming equivalent of 'winging it', but it's what I'm doing.

1 comment:

Reg Pither said...

How long, exactly, does it take pigs to pack?